Embarrassing admission...



...by the time you read this, I will have completed all 9 seasons of the OFFICE, which I started watching because I was bored one day while I was folding laundry.

The first time I watched an episode, I absolutely hated it.

Now it's easily among my top 10.

I was startled the first time it made me cry.
I was fascinated by the curve that my disgust with Michael Scott took to land me firmly on the side of genuinely liking, caring for and rooting for him.
I was heartily invested in the relationship between Jim and Pam; but was so delighted by being equally emotionally invested in the relationship between Dwight and Angela.
It was alarming and hilarious how many of the caricatures in that show were recognizable people in my own life experiences!
And that scene when one of the camera men broke "the rule"??

And yes, I know they're not real people. I know that.

Except that they are.

This is why I am so in love with brilliant storytelling. And why I am so HAPPY to have been wrong wrong wrong about this show!

Turned it on to be distracted. Got majorly compelled.

I laughed. I cried...

I LEARNED SOMETHING!

So tell me. Am I the only one who gets overly emotionally invested in TV show stories? Which are your guilty pleasures? What's on your top 10?





1 comments:

The Incurable Redhead said...

Oh Stepper, you're speaking my language right now. :) I'm a sucker for anything with a good storyline, whether it's a tv series, movie series, or book series. I'm definitely a Netflix binge watcher...gulp! And I REALLY love tv shows that can combined good story telling with humor, like The Office, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The one problem I have is that tv shows don't often know when to end, and often drag on just a touch too long...which I think the office did, but ended strong.

But if we're talking embarrassing admissions, Phineas and Ferb will forever be a favorite of mine! Playful, quick wit, with strong vocabulary usage, I watch it more than I should admit!