Fast

photo credit
Now that New York is a reality, everything is happening so fast. I suppose it's a pace we'll have to get used to.

I remember the first time a New York cab driver yelled at me. It was my first time in the city (one of two, so don't think me an expert). I was thirteen. We had arrived in the city late the night before, and even though all the lights had dazzled me, I had been half-asleep.

Emerging from the Marriott into the broad daylight of New York City was something I simply wasn't prepared for. It was the most magnificent thing I'd ever seen - and while my aunt, uncle and cousin (all seasoned New York visitors) hurried into the cab that had pulled to the curb, I stood open mouthed and staring.

I learned fast that you don't do that in New York. For the cab driver (and the underground restaurant waiter and the broadway theater usher), time is money - and I was wasting both.

Going from Mormon Standard Time to the New York Minute is no small thing.

And now we're moving there. The whole thing is completely crazy. That's how we know it's so right.

Today, I've been oscillating between packing our home into boxes to be stored for who-knows-how-long, and looking up possible places to live. I know trying to find a place for our family is jumping the gun. We can't afford to live in New York (even for a New York Minute!) together until our house in Spanish Fork sells. But I can't help it. I think it eases the anxious feeling I get when I think of William going to New York without me.

My reasons for the anxious feelings are twofold:

  1. William's safety and well-being.
  2. My selfish desire for him to not start this awesome adventure WITHOUT ME.

William found a room, sublet in an apartment a short commute from where he'll be working.

Last week, he bought a one-way ticket to New York.

I know it's the right decision for him to go ahead of the rest of us. It will give him a chance to get his feet wet. To throw himself into this new world completely, and to allow himself to be the peeon intern with the extremely demanding schedule without having to worry about how his wife and three kids are adjusting to their tiny two-bedroom apartment in the Bronx.

And I need to be here, finishing up the work left for me to do:
  1. Sell the house (so that we have any kind of prayer of surviving in the most expensive city in the United States with no income and a meager $2,000/month stipend to support us).
  2. Somehow figure out the barest of necessities that me, my husband and my children will need to survive in New York, and fit them all into a cartop carrier.
  3. Move the rest into either our brand new storage unit - or the dumpster.
  4. Chart a survivable course for me and my three kids to drive to New York (and convince my Mom that coming with me on like, a 5-day road-trip with a 4 year old, 2 year old, and 1 year old sounds like FUN!).
It's a good plan. It's a crazy plan - but it's the right plan. 

Even so - I feel anguish over the fact that my husband and best-friend whom I sincerely doubt I can survive without is leaving by his lonesome to a big, strange city he's never been to before; and I have no real idea when I'll see him again.

Be good to him, New York?

And so we pray - for a quick sale of the townhouse. For an affordable place to live in a safe area so we can be a family in New York - as soon as possible.

And also, we pray in thanks. Because we know we have been led here; and this whole thing is seriously so FREAKING AWESOME!!!

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Heck yeah it's AWESOME!! You will all love it there.

Here is the blog of the bishop's wife (yeah, the bishop's wife is a model/actress/singer!!) when we lived in NYC - she lives in Queens and has for over a decade I think. She probably would have LOTS of great advice for you and maybe housing referrals? She probably won't remember me because I lived there for only 5 months like 3 years ago, but she is super nice.

http://glassposse.wordpress.com/

Good luck with everything! I wrote a post a long time ago about NYC but never posted it, so I'll have to get it posted soon for you! :)

Anonymous said...

How can we help? This is a demanding question ... you must let us. We insist.

~Ari

craftyashley said...

Oh dear, I am tired from just reading that! Having just been through a move, I sympathize. But ours was 5 mins down the road. Good luck on your journey! We'll be sending you good vibes on selling your house. You'll be surprised at how little "stuff" you'll need. Are there things I wish I would have kept? Yes (the curtain rods for one) but I am still glad we didn't move it into another house.

Charms said...

I am selfishly sad for myself that you guys are leaving after we "found" each other again. BUT...I am excited for you and your new adventure! To echo Ari's question: How can I be of service?